25 February 2006

Adventures in Kool-Aid Dyeing

BlueJinx has nominated me to be the official dyer for our spinnings and rovings. I gracefully accepted, I think. I bought several books and did much on-line research. After reading about poisionous chemicals, dangerous fumes, needing respirators, and all the equipment needed, I decided to go with something easier and less expensive. Yes, BlueJinx had suggested this to begin with, but I'm a do-it-all-the-way type person. I had to check out the options.

BlueJinx shipped me some roving (Blue-Faced Leicester, natural), about 2 pounds it appears, all of her initial spinning attempts and some kool-aid. I bought some stuff too. Here is what I have to work with:

Once I get finished paying with Kool-aid, I'm gonna try the water that dried black beans were soaked overnight in (no, I'm not kidding) and avocados (not kidding on this either). Wonder what happens with tomato's? I'm sure someone has tried it.

Five Days Later. Here's that Koo/-Aid report you've been waiting on Jinx. This morning I started dyeing.
First thing I realized: While I may have an idea how to do it - I didn't know the most important thing - what am I aiming for. I finally settled on trying to dye an ounce of wool roving in each color to start with. Once I see that I'll go on to blending and multiple color dyeing.

Second thing: - KA mixed with water and vinegar stink when they are microwaved with wool. I suppose it could be that microwaved wool stinks. Whatever.
Third thing: I don't have enough non-reactive pots, pans, bowls to do several large quantities at a time. I've got plenty of mason jars, but they aren't big enough. I could have did smaller bits but I didn't want to waste the KA/vinegar mix. Why this bothered me I'm not sure? It's not like KA or vinegar is expensive.
Fourth thing: All the directions I have are for using spun or skeined wool. I'm using roving, hope that directions are the same.
Fifth thing: I need to use bigger pans. Or something. As soon as the wool hit the steaming KA it started soaking the dye up. Even with me tenderly poking the wool into the liquid some spots didn't get as much dye. Some didn't get any! I was scared to poke too much in case I felted it. Everything said cook the wool for about 30-40 minutes or until the water was clear. For most the water was clear within 10 minutes. Beats me.
So here are pictures of my first batch of KA dyeing.The flavors used, from L to R: Black Cherry, Orange, Strawberry, Fruit Juicy Red, Grape and Cherry.

2 Comments:

At 3:41 PM, Blogger Bluejinx said...

Looks good enough to eat--yumm!

Bluejinx

 
At 11:46 PM, Blogger Tj said...

I thought about overdyeing to cover the lighter spaces and then decided it was better varigated. Too much brightness otherwise. Cross your fingers and hope I haven't felted it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home