21 February 2006

Sitting & Spinning

Hi there. Long time, no type. I really didn't have anything to say. That cold I had while I was reading OTC cold medicine labels came back as a sinus infection. That was interesting.

I bought a spindle last summer while I was visiting Jinx and Fozzie. Couldn't get the hang of it and finally said "phooey". I got that out again about two weeks ago and said "I'm gonna get it this time." Hours of web research resulted in some very basic, easy to understand direction, much easier to understand than the four books I have on the subject. I sat down and spun the piece of good roving Jinx had given me last summer. Here is my first try:

I got excited. This was easy!!! So I started searching for a local source of roving. (And an on-line source.) The only local source had a half ounce pack of roving only they called it felting wool. Looked like roving to me. And it spins like roving. I believe it was Blue-Faced Leicester, a little bit in each of the four natural colors. That half ounce went quick. And I love the colors.

More, more, gotta have more. In two days of searching I found on-line sources for at least 43 different types of sheep wool. Then there are the exotics (at least 10) and plant possibilities (didn't count those). Did you know that cotton naturally comes in white, green, red, brown, mocha, ecru, khaki, and light green?

DH and I went to visit his Mom this past weekend. I had heard of a store in her area that probably had rovings. Went there. Came home with a new lighter spindle, a mini niddy-noddy and this: Merino - Mojave colorway, 4 oz

And this: Merino - Garnet colorway, 4 oz

And originally 2.8 ounces of this: Merino - natural color

But you can see I've been busy on that. Appears to be 20 wpi. With the lighter spindle I've had no problem doing a finer single.

DH says I can buy more fiber and more spindles! I still think he's a pod person. Who ever heard of a husband telling you to spin money?

Next: Adventures in Kool-Aid Dyeing and Curbing My Fiber Buying.

2 Comments:

At 3:42 PM, Blogger Bluejinx said...

Bwahahahahah-I've created a monster!!

 
At 11:43 PM, Blogger Tj said...

Correction: what I found in the stored wasn't BFL. I am begining to think it was Coopworth in the four shades that wool naturally comes in. I love those shades.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home