23 November 2005

Dreaming?????

Someone, somewhere went to sleep and
dreamed us both alive.
Dreams get pushed around a lot and
I doubt that we’ll survive.
We won’t get to wake up.
Dreams are born to disappear
and I’m sure that neither one of us is here.*


Have you ever had dreams so vivid and realistic that you could swear they really happened? To someone, somewhere. Usually dreams have a touch of something that you know won’t happen in reality so you know it’s a dream. I’ve been having the kind of dreams that have nothing odd in them. I wake up wondering was that real, am I picking up scenes from another persons life? Or maybe it is my alternate life! Lately the dreams have been so vivid and real that I am considering believing in parallel universes or telepathy.

Sometimes I wonder if this moment is the dream and the stuff I’m dreaming is actually the reality. I mean in dreams I usually CANNOT take charge and make myself think about my day. I cannot say ‘okay, remember the trip to the grocery store today, now think about it’. So maybe what I think is reality is the dream and I cannot make myself think about the ‘real’ reality. And after I wake I lose parts of the dream and eventually it is all lost. So in the ‘reality’ I wouldn’t really remember this now.

Of course the strange part is – this ‘dream’ has continuity. Which isn’t much of an argument because what I have considered my dreams in the past have had continuity also. BUT, not continuity for years. On the other hand, time flies in a dream. I can experience things that would take weeks and months in reality. So, maybe the months and years I am experiencing in this ‘reality’ is actually only time flying in a dream. To further bolster this theory: In my dreams there are usually gaps as I skip over some apparently insignificant time period. Sorta like TV does in the sitcoms. In my ‘reality’ there are gaps in my memory, of apparently insignificant events that occur on insignificant days. When I examine my memory as a whole there are some weeks with nothing worthwhile to remember. So maybe these ‘reality’ gaps are just the event jumps in a dream.

These questions go along with this one: Am I in an insane asylum somewhere/somewhen imagining all of what I think is really happening and all of the people around me. There have been some great books and Twilight Zone-type shows/movies done on that question. If the answer is yes – I’ve got a TERRIFIC imagination!

Don’t you see that someone, somewhere went to sleep
and dreamed us both alive.
Dreams get pushed around a lot and
I doubt that we’ll survive. We won’t get to wake up
Dreams were born to disappear
and I’m pretty sure that none of us are here.*

*None of us are here, 1975, Jim Stafford.

I can hear it now and all I have to say is: don’t think about it as much as I did. You might start questioning your reality too. Yes, I have told my shrink about these and other altered state concerns that I have. She says I have a very vivid imagination, wait until the medicine kicks in, it will all be clearer then. I think I’ll quit watching Twilight Zone for a while.

1 Comments:

At 9:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am like you,lately. Maybe it is the weather, maybe it is our age. I don't know. What I do know is that I can fast forward through the boring parts of my dreams. Sadly enough, tho, I can not do that with my life. Not that there are many boring parts of my life right at this time, and life tends to speed on by as is.
If this is insanity, please give me more drugs, these aren't strong enough. If this is my imagination, they why aren't I sitting down writing the great american novel? And if they were real, why don't I remember them better? If we are someone else's dreams come alive, then the dreams we are dreaming, is someone else living them out? The conundrum of dreams. Don't think too hard, the padded walls will fall in on you.
TET

 

Post a Comment

<< Home